Words from Robert and Bryan’s dad...
At Robert’s
funeral last week, his children and several ministers, including his
father-in-law, reverend James Caviness gave wonderful testimonials as to the
warmth and depth of caring Robert had for his family and church.
As his dad,
I would have added that Robert had been a wonderful and happy baby and that
trend continued throughout his lifetime.
Robert was
fortunate to have inherited the best of his two grandfathers’ genes. From Freeman “Poppy” Hill, Robert inherited a
love of church, family and giving back to the community, a love of fishing and
gardening, and hard work to provide for his family.
From Carl
“Pawpaw” Shelton, Robert also inherited a love of church, family and giving
back to the community without any expectation of anything in return. He also inherited Pawpaw’s great sense of
humor and story telling abilities. Poppy
taught Robert to fish the waters, Pawpaw taught him to waterski on the waters.
Robert
developed into the best minister I have ever heard in my life. He was a natural. At every sermon I attended, I welled up with
pride and tears in appreciation for his abilities and messages.
Like Bryan,
Robert also did the wedding ceremony for Sandi and myself, and the funerals for
both of my parents. I fully expected him
to do my funeral. Now it is back to the
drawing board and to wait on grandson, Wesley, whom I suspect has also
inherited that wonderful minister’s gene.
No comments:
Post a Comment